top of page
Town Council logo

Become a Councillor

The Role of a Councillor

A Councillor is someone who people elect to represent them in local government.


Each Councillor represents the people who live in a 'ward', (a geographic area within the town, district, borough or city).

Some wards depending on size - may have more than one Councillor representing them.

Sudbury has 16 Councillors spread over 7 wards.

Councillor have many different responsibilities. These include:

  • Representing the issues of their ward, and of individual 'constituents' (the people who live within their ward

  • Respond to enquiries and representations from their constituents

  • Attend, and participate in, Council and committee meetings



How many hours does a Councillor work?

Time commitments for a Councillor can vary. Hours will vary depending on a Councillor's role within the council and their local community. Councillors who sit on committees will be expected to dedicate more time to their role.

Does a Councillor need any special qualifications or experience?

No formal qualifications are needed to become a Councillor.

Previous experience is also not necessary.

However, to 'stand for office' (put yourself forward as a candidate in an election), there are legal criteria that has to be met. Candidates must be:

aged 18 or over

  • a UK, EU or Commonwealth citizen

  • registered to vote on the current register with their local council, or

    • have either worked or lived in the council's area for one year, or​

    • have been an owner or tenant of any land or premises in the council's area for one year


You cannot stand for office if you:

  • work for your local council, or hold a politically restricted post

  • are the subject of a bankruptcy restrictions order or interim order

  • have served a minimum of three months prison sentence during the five years before the election day ​

  • have been disqualified under legislation relating to corrupt or illegal practices

How do I become a Councillor?

If you would like to become a Councillor, you will first need to stand for office.

You will need to fill out nomination papers from the Electoral Commission and deliver them to Babergh District Council:




You will need to make an appointment with Babergh District Council to deliver your nomination papers.

Please email to arrange a suitable date and time. If you try to deliver without having made an appointment, there may not be anyone available to receive them.

Papers must be hand delivered. However, you do not have to deliver them yourself - for example, one trusted person may deliver the papers on behalf of several candidates.

bottom of page