Sat, 18 Sept|
Sudbury (Various locations)
Heritage Open Days 2021 in Sudbury
Heritage Open Days 2021 in Sudbury Suffolk: Free To Explore Free tickets: sudburytowncouncil.co.uk/hods Every September, Sudbury hosts a series of free events, guided tours and 'open house' activities inviting you to explore our diverse heritage, community and history as part of Heritage Open Days.
Time & Location
18 Sept 2021, 09:30 – 17:00
Sudbury (Various locations), Sudbury CO10, UK
About the Event
Heritage Open Days in Sudbury, Suffolk 2021
Saturday 11th & Sunday 12th and Saturday 18th & 19th SeptemberVarious venues throughout Sudbury town centre
Full programme, free event map and guided tour booking at: sudburytowncouncil.co.uk/hods
All events are free but booking is essential for all guided tours via the link above or you can book by phone or in person at:
Sudbury Tourist Information Centre, Town Hall, Sudbury CO10 1TLHeritage Open Days is England's largest festival of history and culture, bringing together thousands of local people and organisations every autumn. This year, Sudbury is hosting its biggest ever Heritage Open Days celebration with a jam-packed programme of free guided tours, activities and talks celebrating the town of Sudbury’s rich heritage. Taking place over two weekends 11th & 12th and 18th & 19th September the varied programme invites everyone to come and explore Sudbury’s heritage through the centuries.
Free event highlights include:
- ‘Legends & Literature Tour’ exploring tales attached to the town from Dickens, Dalmations to Dragons
- A ‘Pub Crawl Through Time in Sudbury’ with author Peter Thorogood
- A Gainsborough House Pop-up and a chance to get creative in their extraordinary nomadic Camera Obscura
- Guided tours delving into Sudbury’s rich weaving heritage, from Wool to Silk.
- Tours, talks and events at all three of Sudbury’s Medieval churches: All Saints, St. Gregory’s and St Peter’s.
- Rare ‘behind the scenes’ at some Sudbury’s most unique buildings and venues including The Masonic Hall, The Eden Rose Coppice and Quakers Hall.
- A talk and Q&A with Tonia Lawes on Lady Elizabeth and the origins of Market Hill
- A ‘Taste the World in Sudbury’ event in the Mayor’s Parlour celebrating the diverse culinary offer in Sudbury as part of the 2021 Heritage Open Day theme: Edible England and a chance to try Gainsborough Tart made with berries from local Mulberry trees, themselves a significant part of The Sudbury Silk story.
- A free make your own Medieval Silk Mouse workshop at St Peter’s Community & Cultural Venue, with a photographic exhibition and celebration on their closing weekend ahead of their ambitious redevelopment project
- An ‘On the Trail of the Kingfisher’ guided walk of Sudbury Water meadows with local photographer Matt Byham
- And much more, explore the programme and book your free spaces at: sudburytowncouncil.co.uk/hods
Sue Ayres, The Mayor of Sudbury comments:
“Following almost two years of austerity and isolation for many, Sudbury’s ‘Free to Explore’ Heritage Open Days programme is a wonderful opportunity to discover and celebrate Sudbury’s unique and diverse past and an opportunity to look forward to an exciting and innovative future ahead. This is an exciting time for our town with St. Peter’s Cultural Venue on the cusp of their exciting re-development project and Gainsborough’s House nearing completion of their ambitious project: ‘Reviving an Artist’s Birthplace’, re-opening to visitors in Spring next year”.
“We look forward to welcoming both visitors and local residents to discover the fascinating heritage that is all around us – best of all, everything is free to explore!”
Saturday 11th & Sunday 12th September
Step into the Sudbury Story
For the first Heritage Open Days 2021 weekend, Sudbury will be celebrating our diverse heritage through a series of free guided tours and activities. There will also be a number of 'Free to Explore' historic buildings open with free events for all ages throughout the town.
Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th September
Edible England & Green Sundays
For the second Heritage Open Days weekend Sudbury will be embracing this year's festival theme 'Edible England' - from pub crawls through time, our 'Taste The World in Sudbury' event, a Green Sundays special and of course, more free guided tours Event page: sudburytowncouncil.co.uk/eco
Please get in touch for images, interviews and further details
Rachel Price, Town Centre Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 01787 372331 (option 1)
Mobile: 07492 859899Social Media: #HODs #HeritageOpenDays #SudburySuffolk Facebook: facebook.com/SudburyTownCouncil Instagram: instagram.com/visitsudbury Twitter: twitter.com/SudburyTC