Wed, 18 May|
Market Hill, Sudbury
Festival of Suffolk | Torch Relay in Sudbury
Sudbury is thrilled to be part of the 550 mile torch relay which will visit 250 towns and villages in Suffolk as part of a major event, celebrating the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. Join us and our local hero torch bearers on 18th May as part of this countywide celebration!
Time & Location
18 May 2022, 18:30 – 20:00
Market Hill, Sudbury, Market Hill, Sudbury CO10, UK
About the Event
Sudbury is thrilled to be part of the 550 mile torch relay which will visit 250 towns and villages in Suffolk as part of a major event, celebrating the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.
Download the Sudbury torchbearer route map and Jubilee programme in Sudbury at: sudburytowncouncil.co.uk/jubilee
The torch will arrive in Sudbury on the Market Hill on Wednesday 18th May 2022 at approximately 6.45 pm when 2 of the 9 torchbearers will receive the torch and board a rickshaw. The rickshaw will then make it’s way around the town changing torchbearers until it terminates at the town hall for a photoshoot of all the 10 torchbearers.
The nominated torchbearers for Sudbury are:
1. Roger Green – recognition of his long and dedicated service to the town
2. Tina O’Beirne & Pupils from Thomas Gainsborough School
3. Mel Edwards – recognition for her passion and commitment to the town during the town fire and COVID
4. Adam Brinkley – recognition for his voluntary work in the community
5. Val Bareham – recognition for her passion and dedication to the town
6. Chris Boatwright – recognition for her hardwork and dedication to the town
7. Chris Weston – recognition for her passion and commitment to the town
8. Pat Weston – recognition for his passion and commitment to the town
9. Lord Andrew Phillips – recognition for his hardwork and dedication to the town
The Festival of Suffolk Torch Relay will form a key part of the celebrations which are set to become the county’s biggest ever community event. Selected community heroes will accompany the torch as it makes its way around the county, alongside the Bury St. Edmunds rickshaw team, with rickshaws from Stowmarket and Framlingham joining along the route.
On Wednesday 18th May Sudbury is proud to be ’Relay Day/Passing Point’ (point 7) when the torch will visit the town. The Torch The torch will start its journey in Brandon on Friday 13th May, before making its way through towns and villages, reaching its conclusion at the Suffolk Show at Trinity Park, on Wednesday 1st June.
The torch provides light, symbolising a bright and prosperous future for the country. Its function is threefold:
• To herald the Festival of Suffolk
• To transmit a message of peace, unity and friendship to the people of Suffolk
• To showcase all that is good in Suffolk, its places and people